Best Binoculars for Birding: Getting the best binocular is one of the best investments you can get if you love birding, nature walks, fishing, hunting and sports.
If it is your first time buying a binocular you may be wondering what are the important things you should consider. That is why below we have looked at what to look for when buying a binocular.
- What to look for when buying a binocular?
- Best Binoculars for Birding 2020
- Canon Image Stabilization III Binocular – Best Binoculars with Image Stabilization
- Nikon 7577 MONARCH 5 Binocular
- Celestron 71335 Nature DX Binocular
- Bushnell Falcon 133410 Binoculars
- Bushnell Roof Prism Binocular
- ZEISS TERRA ED 8×42 Black Binoculars
- Adorrgon Binoculars
- Best Binoculars for Long Distance
- PHELRENA 20×50 Binoculars
- Celestron SkyMaster 20×80 Binoculars
- Carson 3D Series High Definition Binoculars
- Wingspan Optics Voyager Binoculars – Best Compact Bird Watching Binoculars
What to look for when buying a binocular?
You have to understand the magnification power of the binocular you want to get. For instance, it could be 12×42, 12×25, 10×25, 20×80 etc. in the magnification power of 12×25, 12 represent the magnification power while 25 size objective lens in terms of mm. For instance a magnification of 12×25 means that an object will appear12 times nearer than it would with your normal eyes. To be more specific, if you see an eagle that is on a tree 100 meters away, a binocular with this power (12x) will make it appear as if it was 8.33 meters away (100 divided by 12). It is good to note that a magnification higher than 10x means magnifying the movements of your hands hence makes it hard to have steady images.
The second number after the magnification power shows the diameter of the objective lenses. It mostly regulates how much light your binoculars can gather. Those that have a larger diameter objective lenses will capture more light hence have brighter view, especially in low-light conditions.
Binocular Exit Pupil
Another thing that should be considered when buying a binocular is the exit pupil. Often a person buying a binocular for the first time may wonder what exit pupil is. Exit pupil represents a number that show how bright an object will appear when viewed in low light situation. This is very important more so to someone who is likely to have views in places with less light. To calculate the exit pupil size, divide the diameter of the lens by the magnification number. For example, in a lens power of 12×42, divide 42 by 12 to get 3.5 exit pupil diameters. To know the best exit pupil size for your binocular it is good to understand that a normal human eye can widen up to 7mm in dark environments, so when your binocular has an exit pupil lower than 7mm it may lower the light available to your eyes. In this case for night viewing a 12×42 binocular has a lower exit pupil than one with 7×50, which means the latter is best for night viewing. If you specialize with views in darker place go for one with exit pupil higher than about 5mm or higher. For daylight viewing a lower exit pupil will just do well.
The Field of View
This is very important when it comes to getting a binocular for bird watching. It indicates the width covered by the binocular. The field views are normally indicated in the specifications in the user manual, so go for one with higher field of view. Note that a higher magnification means a smaller field of view.
Eye relief is the distance between the binocular’s eyepiece and your eyes while viewing the complete field of view. This is what determines how close you will hold your binocular to have a full field of view. A Long eye relief improves your comfort by letting you hold the binoculars away from your face.
If you wear eye glasses note that majority of the manufacturers recommend that one should roll down the rubber eyepiece collars before viewing.
The Prism Type
In every binocular you will find only one kind of prism from the only two types of prism used to make a binocular. These are Porro and Roof prism. Without the prism all the images in the binocular would look upside down, this is because of the way light goes through the lenses. The type of prism determines the price and size.
A binocular with Porro prism has a good optics, but on the other hand it ends up being larger. The advantage of these binoculars is that they are more affordable. On the other hand, a roof prism will produce a smaller and slimmer binocular but one which is more expensive, but favorable in terms of outdoor activities like bird watching.
Go for a binocular that can withstand long hours of rainfall if you intend to go for long hours outdoor.
Best Binoculars for Birding 2020
Canon Image Stabilization III Binocular – Best Binoculars with Image Stabilization
Canon Image Stabilization III Binocular is a powerful binocular with a stable viewing. It is one of the best binoculars for bird watching. It has stabilizer technology that keeps the image steady at all times. With extra-bright view and high magnification your activities will be experienced at a higher level.
Pro features in Canon Image Stabilization III Binocular
- Has a doublet Field Flattener that keeps images sharp from edge-to-edge.
- An improved power-saving technology combined with optional lithium AA batteries which provide up to 12 hours of continuous use.
- Has a center focus to allow an easy one-handed operation.
- It is a water-resistant.
- To allow usage in a vast environment it has a non-slip rubber coating that ensures secure handling.
- Has an Image Stabilization (IS) using optics technology.
- Eye relief of 14.5mm/0.57 in.
- Magnification of 12x and objective lens diameter of 36mm.
Nikon 7577 MONARCH 5 Binocular
Nikon 7577 MONARCH 5 Binocular is light and it’s built with Nikon ED which is an extra-low dispersion glass lenses. This binocular is good for outdoor activities as it delivers a sharp view that is accurate in terms of color, contrast and clarity.
All of the Nikon Eco-Glass lenses are Fully Multicoated to deliver maximum resolution and light transmission. In addition, it utilizes Nikon’s high-eye point design to deliver a clear field-of-view and longer eye-relief, which ensure your comfort during viewing.
Best features in Nikon 7577 MONARCH 5 Binocular
- For fast viewing, it has a smooth central focus knob which makes it easy to bring object into focus.
- It is completely water proof as it is Nitrogen filled and sealed with O-ring sealed.
- Has protective and rubber-armored coating that strengthens it, making it more durable and guarantees a non-slip grip during wet and dry conditions.
- It gives a sharp and clearer image due to Nikon’s premium ED (Extra-Low Dispersion) Glass.
- It is light
Celestron 71335 Nature DX Binocular
This is one of the best binocular that will give you the value for your money. It work so well in low light and it will definitely give you clearer images for better experience.
Celestron’s Nature DX 10×56 binoculars are perfect for your outdoor exploration such bird watching, sports, hikes etc. It has a phase-coated BaK-4 prism which is considered the best type of Porro prism. When the fully multi-coated optics and BaK-4 prisms are combined your binocular reveals clear image detailed with high resolution and contrast. Nature DX has 10x magnification and 56mm objective lenses, hence it can be considered to strike the perfect balance between ease of use and the ability to have bright and clear images.
Best features in Celestron 71335 Nature DX Binocular
- 1000 yards field of view which means you can follow your subject in a wide field of view.
- Has a durable rubber and polycarbonate outer cover that protects against damages caused by water, fog and dust
- It is tripod adaptable
- Has a Phase coated BaK4 prisms for improved contrast and resolution
- For brighter images it has a fully multi coated optics that increase light transmission via the entire optical path
- It has 17.5 eye relief which makes it user friendly even for someone with Eyeglass
Bushnell Falcon 133410 Binoculars
Bushnell Falcon 133410 Binoculars is a superb item for outdoor activities ranging from sports, hiking, safaris, hunting, bird watching, fishing and many more. This binocular is made by Bushnell, a company that is well renowned for making the leading brand in high-performance binoculars. Bushnell Falcon series offers powerful magnification at an economical price.
This is a model that assures durability and water resistance. The Porro prism and coated lenses provide sharp viewing and for those who wear eyeglasses it has a clever fold-down eye cups that protect your lenses from scratching.
Best features in Bushnell Falcon 133410 Binoculars
- An Exit pupil of 5 mm
- Has a magnification power of 7X magnification
- A good objective lens with diameter of 35-millimeter which allows enough light
- Field of view of 1,000 yards
- Has an Auto focusing Porro prism hence good optics
- 20 Ft. close focusing distance
- Secure cover with non-slip rubber
- It weighs 21ounce or 0.595 kilograms
- An eye relief of 12mm
Bushnell Roof Prism Binocular
Bushnell Roof Prism Binocular is also on the list of Best Binoculars for Birding due to its outstanding features. It is manufactured by Bushnell, a company that has been in the business of producing high-performance sports optics for more than 65 years. This is the reason why this binocular is of the highest quality and reliability, yet it is affordable to ensure all people who love sports, birding and hiking are able to enjoy what they love most.
Outstanding features in Bushnell Roof Prism Binocular
- Features a BaK-4 prisms for excellent viewing
- Has a multi-coated optics which produces unparalleled light transmission
- It is 100 percent waterproof
- Has a non-slip rubber pads that gives you a firm grip
- 10x magnification and 42 millimeter objective diameter
- 17 millimeter eye relief
- Has an exit pupil of 4.2 mm
- Has a Field of View of 1000 yards
- For ease adjustments it has a large center focus knob
ZEISS TERRA ED 8×42 Black Binoculars
ZEISS TERRA ED 8×42 Black Binoculars has a compact and attractive design that clearly shows some of its wonderful features. With 8x magnification, the TERRA ED 8×42 gives you both large fields of view and steady images.
If you are planning to go for fishing or bird watching you easily carry this binocular since it light. You can be assured to get highest optical accuracy and images that are detailed down.
Outstanding features in ZEISS TERRA ED 8×42 Black Binoculars
- It is waterproof and nitrogen-filled, making it durable.
- Can enlarge images 8x
- 1000m Field of view
- Objective lens diameter of 42 mm;
- Exit pupil diameter of 5.3 mm
- It works well in low light
Adorrgon Binoculars is a powerful binocular that is light and has a durable body with odorless rubber that is shock-resistance. You can carry it when going for hikes, bird watching or when going for your safari.
- Has a Magnification power of 12×42 which means your images will appear 12 times closer.
- It has a good objective lens diameter (42 mm) that allows sufficient light to have clearer image.
- It is light (0.45 kgs or 1.1 pounds)
- Has a 367 fts or 1000 yards of field view
Best Binoculars for Long Distance
For people who love views covering longer distance it is good you go for a binocular that can cover a longer distance and still have clear images. For instance, astrologist will require binoculars with higher magnification power. It is also good to consider getting a binocular with applicable exit pupil, field of view, image stabilizers, eye relief etc.
Below is a list of Best Binoculars for Long Distance
PHELRENA 20×50 Binoculars
PHELRENA 20×50 binoculars has great magnification; with a 20x magnification your view will be brought closer 20 times. In addition to powerful magnification it is also equipped with FMC lens and BAK4 prism, a good combination that will give you clear images.
Normally a binocular suited for long distance often has heavier lenses; this is the reason PHELRENA 20×50 Binoculars is designed with a smartphone adapter that is light easy to handle and compatible with various types of Android phones.
Suitable long distance in features PHELRENA 20×50 Binoculars
- It enables one to view very clear and bright images because it has Bak-4 prism which has better performance and higher reflective index compared to Bak-7 and Bak-5 prisms.
- It come with a smartphone adapter.
- Has a magnification power of 20x, an object that is 500 meters away will appear as if it is 25 meters away.
- Its lens diameter is 50mm, enabling more light to pass through the lenses hence more light passes through.
- It has a durable and water proof body that withstand all weather conditions.
- Has a centre focus knob which allows easy focusing.
- It can be installed on a tripod, incases when you have longer views.
- Its Field of view is 1000m.
Celestron SkyMaster 20×80 Binoculars
Celestron SkyMaster 20×80 Binoculars is high-quality yet inexpensive choice for long-distance viewing. It has enormous 80mm objective lenses with a 20x powerful magniﬁcation.
As high magnification binocular it is heavy so it advisable when you viewing for long hours you ensure you have a tripod with a parallelogram mount. It has a large field of view and really great for astronomical and bird viewing.
This binocular has an exit pupil of 4 mm and an objective lens of 80 mm, this means you will have bright views even on dim light, at dawn or dusk.
Best features in Celestron SkyMaster 20×80 Binoculars
- Has a magnification power of 20x
- Linear field of view -1000 yds. approximately to about 65m
- Has a interpupillary distance ranging between- 72mm -56mm.
- Gives Bright and Sharp Images even when in low light, this is enabled by the higher exit pupil.
- A bigger objective lens (80mm) which allows more light.
- Has a multi-coated optics and BaK-4 prisms therefore excellent light transmission for brighter images.
- Has a protective rubber cover that provide ultra-firm grip.
- Has Long eye relief ideal for eyeglass wearers.
Carson 3D Series High Definition Binoculars
This is not only one of the best long distance binocular, it has one the best packaging. As a quality product, Carson 3D Series High Definition Binoculars combines a HD optical coating technology with ED glass to provide you with the brightest and distinct image ever.
Compared to other more expensive brands, Carson 3D turns out to be a superior quality since it can give quality images even in darker areas. Its exit pupil is 4mm, a feature that produces quality views in low light.
Features in Carson 3D Series High Definition Binoculars
- The nitrogen and O-ring sealing on the making them waterproof and fog-proof Waterproof Binoculars with ED Glass.
- Combines HD optical coating technology with ED glass to provide bright and clear image.
- Durable and Tough cage that withstands all adverse weather conditions.
- Great Outdoors.
- Has an extra- long eye relief with twist down eyecups that make perfect for eyeglass wearers.
Wingspan Optics Voyager Binoculars – Best Compact Bird Watching Binoculars
Wingspan Optics Voyager offers sharp images than you can ever imagine. To be precise, it is made with an Innovative technology that combines high-quality, fully multi-coated lens and waterproof body that you can always use when having your valued outdoor activities.
- Enables you to see objects at closer range of 10X42.
- Has a fully multi-coated lens that delivers enough brightness.
- It is waterproof and fog proof.
- It is compact and lightweight.
- Best lightweight binoculars